Hello there! I’m Riccardo Mori. I speak Italian, English and Spanish. I am a writer, freelance translator, and an enthusiast photographer. I’m also a Mac consultant and conservator. My main interests are literature, art, photography, typography, Apple computers, Newton PDAs, vintage technology, design, user interfaces and usability. I became interested in computers in the early 1980s. In 1989 I started being involved in desktop publishing, part-time working in mixed PC/Mac environments. I eventually went Mac-only in 1993. Other past experiences include book designing work and a brief stint at an advertising agency.
After some consulting work and literary translations in the 1990s, I started freelancing as a technical translator around 2001, and I’ve collaborated with Macworld Italia magazine for the better part of the 2000s. Between 2001 and 2010, I translated into Italian Bruce Schneier‘s Crypto-Gram, free monthly newsletter providing summaries, analyses, insights, and commentaries on security. Check the Services page to learn more about my experience as a translator.
I’ve been writing poetry and fiction since 1990. In early 1993 I founded Laboratorio Quillink, sort of small Design & Print workshop to edit and publish my own and other people’s works. It was closed in 1997, reopened in 2003 as Quillink Press and has quickly become the official brand for all my self-published material. I published some of my poetry in 1994-1996. I’ve done readings of some of my poems and short stories, sometimes accompanied by a few jazz musician friends.
My current writing projects are:
- Minigrooves — Short stories that are first published online in cycles (or ‘seasons’), then published as ebooks with extra content. Volume 1 of Minigrooves is currently available on the iBookstore. More details about this ongoing project can be found in this article. An overview of the extra contents of the ebook can be found here.
- Vantage Point magazine — A compact digital magazine available on iOS that works as supplement and extension of this website. On every issue of Vantage Point you’ll also find an episode of Low Fidelity, a novel I’m publishing in serialised form (more information is available at the Crosslines//Low Fidelity website and I’ve talked about the project in more detail in this article).
If you like what I write, please consider supporting my writing by purchasing the Minigrooves ebooks and/or subscribing to Vantage Point magazine. Thank you!
Past authored books include:
- Mac OS X Tiger – Guida Rapida al Sistema Operativo [Future Media Italy, 2005]
- Luca Accomazzi & Riccardo Mori, Il Libro dei Portatili Macintosh [IDG Communications Italia, 2005] — A compact book on Apple PowerBooks, their care and maintenance.
- Lucio Bragagnolo & Riccardo Mori, Superguida iPhone [Nuov@ Periodici Italia 2008] — The Italian edition of the iPhone Superguide, edited by Macworld USA and published by IDG.
- Lucio Bragagnolo & Riccardo Mori, Superguida iPhone 3GS [Nuov@ Periodici Italia 2009] — The Italian edition of the iPhone & iPod touch Superguide – Third Edition, edited by Macworld USA and published by IDG.
- Lucio Bragagnolo & Riccardo Mori, Macintosh Story, Second edition [Nuov@ Periodici Italia 2009] — A compact book on the history of Apple and the Macintosh.